Saturday, February 18, 2006

Flying up the Florida Coastline

Hi all

Saturday 18th February

Yes, today I really was flying up the coastline on a perfect summer day and there was just myself in the aircraft. It was so enjoyable, I can hardly believe I did it.

It was not too early a start to the day as I just needed to be at NAC for 8:30am.
The morning was beautiful and I was cycling in warm sunshine. On the way I stopped to take a picture of some birds on the ground.

and they are all expensive executive type aircraft.

On arrival at the school, Mark (from High Wycombe) had just completed his first solo. Well done Mark. Here he is just sorting out the paperwork on the Warrior.


As I was checking out N945AC this taildragger taxied by


I got my instructions and a little while later taxied down to the active runway (05). There was little wind and it was straight down the runway. I did my power checks and pre takeoff checks and got clearance from the tower to takeoff and depart to the south. I was asked to move quickly as another aircraft was on final approach. I was soon on my way and climbed to 2500ft, levelled out, powered back and trimmed. I was tracking south heading towards Marco Island and the coastline. I knew that once I was 10 miles south of the airport I could change onto the NAC traffic frequency and announce my callsign, position, height and intentions. I got a call from another NAC aircraft that was 1000ft below. Once we had agreed to keep that 1000ft separation I had a few moments to just enjoy the view and the experience. I have a special camera and it just knows when there is a worthwhile view and then it takes a picture. Here is one.

Marco Island below the nose.

After my few moments of relaxation it was time to get back to work. I circled onto a north heading and changed to the ATIS frequency to get the weather and active runway at Naples. Having noted the report on my kneeboard, I changed back to the NAC traffic frequency and setup the tower frequency on the second radio. When I was 10 miles south of the airfield I called up the tower and gave them my details and position and requested a touch and go landing to be followed by a VFR departure to the east. I was asked to call at Gordon Pass. I set up a power descent and this is when I was flying up the coastline on a sunny day. My brain was too busy to will the camera to take a photo but the image is locked in my memory. At Gordon Pass I am at 1000ft and call the tower. I am given clearance to turn onto the base leg and to touch and go making a straight out departure to the east. Goodness there must be a lull in the traffic, I feel sure that I will pay for this later. All goes well and I land and takeoff and once at 500ft climb out to the east. I decide to ascend to 2500ft and before long I have reached it and adjust for straight and level flight. Once 10 miles east of Naples I went through the same procedure of changing frequencies, calling NAC traffic, etc. Another few less intense moments and here are the camera shots.





It was time to go back. I got the ATIS info and guess what, it was payback time. The active was now 14. I could not remember using this before. I looked at my airport plan and made sure I knew where it was. I also adjusted the altimeter to the new setting. They only use QNH here in Florida and do not refer to it using the Q code.
I changed the radio to the tower frequency and was soon overhead the toll booths on the I75 (Interstate Highway 75). I called the tower and was asked to continue and prepare to join mid field downwind on a left hand circuit. I made a mistake here and I do not think I will do this again. But in my head I thought this meant an overhead join because I did not work out the circuit direction properly. Not only had they changed the runway, they also changed the circuit direction. Anyway I crossed the field overhead at about 1400 ft (hope I do not get into trouble for this) and turned to parallel the runway. The tower called and asked for my position and that is when both they and I realised I was in the wrong place. The airfield was not as busy as it had been and I was advised I could turn onto base and given clearance to land. It was my best ever landing and the tower told me which taxiway to take and the ground frequency. I responded and said sorry for the error. I taxied down Delta and crossed runway 05 after checking with ground control. As I was doing this I saw a jet takeoff on runway 14. Just a few minutes later when I was back at the ramp and was shutting everything down, I could aircraft taking off from runway 05 again. So they switched the runway and circuit direction just for me as a test. If that had been the case I would have failed. I have now clocked up 3 hours of solo flight. It was 10:15am and Nikki had said that she would not be back until 11:30. I had time to have a coffee, complete my logbook, ring home using my special calling card that uses a toll free number and pin. I had a look in the hanger next door to NAC and this is what I saw.


Later I saw Nikki and owned up to my mistake and got some homework for Sunday. I am not due to fly again until 3pm on Monday and I have to plan the cross country route to Pahokee where Nikki will be in command. Also on Monday Nikki has the CAA turning up for an inspection and it seems that they will be onsite for a few days.
I cycled back to the hotel and had some lunch and looked at some of the homework. I decided that I really needed to visit the nearby Laundermat to do some washing.
I was soon back on my bike with a rucksack containing the C152 POH and a training manual. On my handlebars I had a bag full of dirty clothes. I eventually got across Highway 41 and to the Laundermat. You need 14 quarters to start the washing machine, 3 quarters for detergent, and a quarter for every 6 minutes using a tumble drier. I had none but a change machine solved the problem. Soon I was sitting looking at my washing going round.

The last time I did this was 28 years ago and it is no more entertaining now. Just a few hours ago I was gazing out of the cockpit of an aircraft at a beautiful view and now I was looking at my washing whilst some local kids run riot without their parents taking any notice. I read up the POH and nowhere does it tell you about the turn co-ordinator or how it is powered. When the washing cycle was complete something really weird happened. I opened up the door and took out my washing and one of my shirts had just VANISHED. As I turned the drum to look for it there was a clank and an Allen key dropped to the bottom of the drum. I picked it up and thought this is strange. Oh well I did the drying and packed everything up and decided I was going to do my bit for the environment and make these clothes last for the remainder of my trip. Where does all that detergent go when it drains out ? I headed back to hotel on my bike. As I swung into the entrance to the pool area I was going a bit fast and having virtually no brakes I ended up in the hedge. After extracting myself and brushing off the leaves I parked the bike and got to the room to hang up my washing. I thought I must fix the brakes and I had got some new brake pads from Walmart (why does that whole place smell of popcorn) a few days earlier for the princely sum of $5.14. I had tried to change them once before but the brake block threads were rusted up. I had also bought some WD40 so I took that down to the bike and gave the threads a spray. I left it for half an hour to soak in and then got my rucksack to head off to the local store and replenish my beer stocks. Firstly I changed the brake pads and do you what ? I needed an Allen key to tighten them up. The one in my pocket that I had found in the washing machine was exactly the right size. There must be somebody up there !!!! The brakes now work.
I went back to the hedge to take a picture of a Peewit shaped hole in it but the hedge seemed to have survived better than I did. I cycled off and got my beer (Becks this time).
On the way back I had a look in the marina next to the hotel.

See the sign about the Manatee's (If you click on a picture it should show full size)


A good roof for the Pelican to sort out it's feathers.

Back at the hotel, the beer is in the fridge and I type up this post.
I must mention my wife Jenny and my dog Angus. They are both at home in England and putting up with the winter whilst I am here having fun in the sun. Thanks for letting me do this.



It is time for me to get some food and have a beer.
I see that Accrington Stanley won again today.

Peewit
free web site hit counter

1 comment:

peewit said...

Accy Stan :-

It seems like you saw that tv advert for milk.
Currently have been unbeaten in the Conference for 17 games, they have a 14 point lead over nearest rival. They could be back playing league football next season.

Peewit