Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rose Bay to Vaucluse foreshore walk

The autumn weather in Sydney has improved. Just a week ago there was so much rain that the local reservoir/dam overflowed. I was hoping that after a week of dry and mainly sunny weather that the foreshore walk along the Southern part of Port Jackson would have dried out. I was about to find out.

My journey started with a ferry ride to Circular Quay and then a 325 bus via Kings Cross, Double Bay and Rose Bay to the starting point near the Sacred Heart Convent School near the top of the hill that the bus climbs as it leaves Rose Bay. The bus was completely packed even at 10:30 in the morning and this surprised me. It was very noisy and I was regretting not having brought my iPod with me. On the bus there was a group of women from Shellhaven who by coincidence were going to do the same walk as me. This was surprising as usually there are few others doing the walk in the week. I explained that one of my objectives was to have a cream tea at Vaucluse House.
Eventually we arrived at the starting point. I waited for the ladies to get underway as I did not want to force my presence upon their party, I tried to find a nearby spot that is good for taking a panoramic photo across the harbour. Unfortunately, I could not find it, so after a ten minute delay I set off down Tivoli Avenue. Maybe I should I have got off the bus at the next stop. Tivoli Avenue soon joined up with Bayview Hill Road.
 

As you go down Bayview Hill Road the expanse of Sydney Harbour appears.
 

At the end of the road, the Foreshore walk starts
 

Soon you come to a place with fine views across the harbour.
 

Queens Beach comes into sight.
 

Sorry, I just need to keep taking photos, despite the cloud in the skies.
 

As I arrive at Queens Beach so does a canoeist.
 

The sign confirms my location.
 

The canoeists have paddled from Rose Bay and say that they are quite tired. When I said that there were cafes at Shark Bay just around the point, they said that they would just be heading back across to Rose Bay after a rest.
 

I soon arrived at Hermit Point where the narrow foreshore path opened out and you could go onto the beach if you felt the need.
 

I decided to press on and the track seemed to now have many more steps.
 

A view across the Bay.
 

Another photo opportunity mainly taken because I kept catching up with the Ladies group and to give them a chance to get ahead.
 

I caught up again at Strickland House, so having been here before I said that I would press on ahead so that I was not always upon their heels.
 

Strickland House
 

It is slightly tricky at this point to pick up on the foreshore track again but I did locate it.
 

The track was very boggy along this section (not normally like this) and I did manage to get a bootie (I could not avoid stepping into the bog with my foot sinking in and black muddy ooze getting over my shoe and socks).
 

Warning sign
 

Getting close to Shark Bay
 

The beach at Shark Bay as the sun hides behind the clouds. There are places here where you can stop for lunch. In my case I was saving my appetite for a cream tea later on.
 

The sun has reappeared as I look back to the beach while walking through Neilsen Park.
 

When you emerge from the park you walk down Coolong Road. The road runs parallel to the beach where all the multi million dollar properties have their own private boat jetties. Here is one of the houses.
 

At the end of the road you arrive at Vaucluse Bay and here you get more views across the harbour and can also see those private jetties.
 

You cross the road to get to Vaucluse House which was built in the 1850's and is set in well maintained grounds. You can even view the pleasure gardens without your pet dog.
 

In the shaded gardens
 

Vaucluse House
 

The tea rooms
 

My cream tea
 

View across the gardens from Vaucluse House
 

At the rear of the house there are some old but impressive stables.
 

You walk up through the estate grounds
 

The start of many steps that take you to Hopetoun Avenue which in turn leads right to New South Head Road.
 

At New South Head Road you can catch the bus back to Sydney. I decided to walk down the hill to Rose Bay and take the ferry. Along the way there were some interesting houses.
 

An Anglican church.
 

A good view of the CBD.
 

After walking through Rose Bay high street I turned onto the path leading around the bay.
 

Boards for hire.
 

Signpost
 

Take a ride on a seaplane or have a nice meal.
 

The Catalina restaurant.
 

Interesting sign
 

Starting the take off run
 

Lifting away from the bay.
 

The Rose Bay ferry wharf.
 

It was over an hour to wait for the ferry so I decided to walk to the nearby road and catch a bus.
 

On the bus there was the group of ladies that I had met earlier. They were returning from the walk. Somehow they had not been able to find Vaucluse House, so I guess they were unable to have scones and cream for lunch.
I had enjoyed my walk.

Peewit

Posted by Picasa

No comments: