Monday, April 12, 2010

Trip to distant beach

Another beautiful Autumn day was in prospect so I thought I would take a rail trip from Sydney through the Royal National Park and along the coastline to Austinmer.

This was to be just a daytrip that I could do on a pensioner excursion ticket (2.50 AUD). These tickets give unlimited travel for a day on Sydney ferries, buses and trains. Until a year ago the cost of these tickets was the equivalent of one British Pound but now with the horrific drop in the exchange rate the equivalent is £1.56.

The journey started at North Sydney station that is a ten minute walk from my home. The train crosses the Sydney harbour bridge providing good views of the Opera House.


Harbour view

A few minutes later I change train at Central. I board a train for Dapto and it departs at 10:23. There was only one other person in my carriage and I sat by a left handside window that would give the best views. The trains are double deckers so I was also in the upstairs section.


A Sydney train

After half an hour the train arrives in the Royal National Park region and here the train slows down due to the zig zag nature of track and the surprisingly steep gradients. There are fantastic views across the trees.


Lots of trees

After about 45 minutes of fascinating terrain the coast comes into view as track continues to snake along the hillside.


Climbing again.

At just before midday we arrive at Austinmer station and I take the ten minute walk to the beach.


Austinmer beach

I went to café with tables overlooking the beach and had a big breakfast style meal. It was good, but they cannot do sausage, egg, bacon, tomato and mushrooms up to English standards. The Aussies do not know how to make a decent sausage. I have a cooked breakfast on rare occasions and over here they never live up to expectation.

After my calorific lunch, I went over to the beach after removing socks and shoes. Time to relax on a towel, take in the view, eat an apple, read a book and just enjoy the weather.


The surf looks interesting

I should have brought my swimming costume but had not and the surf looked quite energetic. My plan was to stroll along the beach to Thirroul but as the tide was in (only a tiny 1 metre tidal range around NSW) it was blocking the route around the headland so I chose to walk along the road for a bit.


Approaching Thirroul

After a hill climb and descent I was able to hang a left and rejoin the beach. A barefoot paddle was called for.


Quiet beaches


I wonder if these would be good places to live ?


Some seaside homes


Lorrikeets squabbling in the trees

Having spent a very enjoyable few hours at the beach it was time to head for home. So a five minute walk along Station Road no less and I would soon be on the platform.


A coal train glided through the station

My train departed at 3:25pm and I had another very scenic run home. The views across the ocean and forest were stunning as the sun was getting lower in the west.


Stanwell Park from the train.

The approach to Sydney was rather slow as the train seemed be limited by caution signals on the last stretch. After changing at Central I was joined by hundreds of commuting workers on their way home after a day in the office.

Ten minutes later I strolled back to my apartment for what seemed like a well earned beer on my balcony.

Peewit
free web site hit counter

No comments: