Monday, April 26, 2010

Berry Island

Yesterday the weather was a bit on the wet side so my daughter and I visited the NSW art gallery and then had lunch nearby. Today normal service has been resumed as far as the weather goes and it is the Anzac public holiday here so some places will be busy.
I decided to take a short local walk to Berry Island. It is not actually an island, more of a headland really.

A stroll through the local al fresco cafe area to start, hang a left up Mitchell St. and I was soon on my way down to the coastal path leading to Waverton Park.
The historic ferries seem to congregate at this boatyard.
 


At the park I cut across the playing fields and take a shortcut towards HMAS Waterhen. I am just bypassing Balls Head that I visited recently. When I reach Wollstonecraft Bay I can see some tugs getting ready to guide an oil tanker leaving the Manns Point terminal at Greenwich. It is hardly a tourist spot but the scenery is still good and there are no crowds.
 


In Wollstonecraft Bay you can see the old gas works.
 


The walk goes through a reserve and I chose a path taking you to Berry Island via a beach. As I left the rock strewn beach there was just a large well maintained lawn area to cross before reaching the Berry Island reserve. It is a really pleasant walk along a bush path to the tip of the Island where there is a good viewing point.
 

Time to relax, scramble around the rocks, read up on the area's history and have lunch. This place seems to be a mecca for Spurs fans. I am not one of them.
After enjoying my packed lunch it was a fairly relentless uphill walk to Wollstonecraft station where I caught the train back to North Sydney.

Peewit
free web site hit counter
Posted by Picasa

No comments: