Tuesday, September 04, 2012

More panoramic stuff

As mentioned previously I have been looking at the way in which to produce a panoramic image. I recently visited Guildford and took along my entry level DSLR (a Canon 1000D that I bought in Sydney a couple of years ago) and my new Samyang 8mm lens. I took five photos from the same spot in the High Street and produced this panorama with the aid of some pc software.

I also used the same five photos to make this youtube video.

So just taking five photos in under 60 seconds is all you need. However my plan is to also make some gigapixel panoramas when I am back in Sydney. The idea of these is that you can zoom in and get a lot of detail. I will use a standard lens but you do need to take about 54 photos. So to achieve this I have made up a special bracket to hold the camera while I rotate it between shots. The bracket is mounted on a tripod with "click stop" panoramic head on it. You can buy a fully robotic head to do all this automatically but I want to save the money and do the job the harder but more rewarding way. Only time will tell if I get decent results.

Peewit

No comments: