Friday, August 04, 2006

Sorry Caroline

Well you know I said to look at my blog at the weekend because there would be something interesting on it. I was planning to fly solo to Devizes and back on Thursday 3rd August, but didn’t.

You would have thought that booking an aircraft for a slot in the first week of August would be a sensible thing to do. After all it is the first week of the school summer holidays and the weather has been very good lately. I did my route planning and even prepared my laptop pc with some software so that it would provide a moving map display of where I was with the help of a bluetooth GPS unit. However when Thursday morning arrived it was raining and the cloud was low and covered the entire sky. So even if I could not fly to Devizes, I would be able to do circuits. No, even this was unlikely because the wind was from the north (at the worst possible angle across the runway) and was gusting above the maximum allowed for crosswind landings in a C152.
At 9:45 I rang up the air-school and cancelled my slot and booked another for a week’s time. Surely I cannot have a weather problem twice in a row in August ?

Although there has been a heatwave in England recently, I have never actually been flying whilst the weather is at its best. Maybe there is a warning here, so do not book the day off next Thursday or plan an evening BBQ.

Accrington Stanley FC have their first match back in the football league tomorrow.

From Your dad - Peewit
free web site hit counter

No comments: