Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Olympic cycle ride

Nice day for a bike ride.
OK so the day looks like it is going to be bright and sunny so a little cycling would be good. There are some good cycle routes in around the Sydney Olympic Park site. Some of these routes are through bush and wetlands, whilst others are in the stadium area. I could do a bit of both.

After a train ride (34 minutes) to Concord West it was coffee time so I went to a nearby cafe for a coffee and a muffin
 


I expect there are a million calories in that muffin but I was going to burn them off hopefully.

Next I set off on a walk through parkland to the bike hire place. Here it was a simple process to organise a modern hybrid bike, helmet and lock. Being in Australia I put the helmet on over my cap. It may look daft but I did not want a sunburnt scalp. I set off and cycled past the Badu Mangroves and the Waterbird Refuge before going onto an actual road for a few hundred metres that took me to the Archery Centre.
 


A bit further and I was on the wetland cycle route. We came to a hill that soon found me in 1st gear and at the top it was time for a rest and to get my heartrate down a bit. So with the great 360 degree viewing point I took a few photos.

Me and my bike
 


The Blue Mountains in the distance
 


I followed various paths without much actual planning and ended up by the Parramatta River. There is a lovely cycle track the runs alongside the river that after a while arrived at Newington Armoury. This is an interesting spot with cafes, activities and historic sites. Still full of chocolate muffin I just took a few photos and continued.

Cranes alongside the Newington Armoury wharf
 


I left here and ended up on roads (although with no traffic). I passed a new looking prison with high fences and razor wire. I referred to my map and found a way to the Olympic Park although I did miss out at least half of the wetland track that I had intended to cycle.

Before long stadiums were in sight
 


I cycled and walked extensively around these interesting area.
This is the ANZ stadium but I guess it is obvious.
 


In the end my appetite was returning and I had a rare event, a big mac meal. As on previous occassions I soon felt sick.

Feeling sick whilst watching people running the gauntlet with a fountain system.
 



I resumed my ride around the stadiums and finally headed back to the parklands to return my bike.

Hire a bike here.
 


After the walk back to the station, I had covered a total of 20 Kms by cycle and on foot. The weather had been excellent, the views superb, I had taken loads of photos and even got a bit of exercise. A great day.

Peewit
free web site hit counter
Posted by Picasa

No comments: