Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sunshine back in Sydney

Hi

The sunshine is back, or at least it was yesterday when I decided to go on a shopping trip to the Westfield mall at Bondi Junction.
Even though it was quite hot weather there was the usual breeze across the harbour cooling us all down.
The journey starts with a 10 minute ferry trip across the harbour to Circular Quay.
This photo was taken from the platform at the station where I caught a train to Bondi Junction via Town Hall.
 

I suppose the total journey time was about 40 mins door to door.
The Westfield mall is ermormous and I had to ask directions to the two places I was interested in. One was selling coffee pods and the other was art materials. After getting what I wanted and a bit of browsing at the latest in smartphones I needed to head home as I wanted to watch the 2nd T20 match between England and Australian women at the MCG.
I made it in plenty of time but at the appointed hour I found that Nine were not showing it. My Tivo is so useless that 9 times out of 10 it seems to record something entirely different to the program you have selected. This maybe because Tivo is practically useless here (no advert skip feature) or because the Australian broadcasters can't be bothered to keep the tv guide up to date. Either way, Nine were understandably showing coverage of the Queensland flooding along with almost identical coverage on every other tv channel. Of course this coverage fell a lowly second to endless advertising breaks. Having tried all the tv channels and failed, I tried the ABC grandstand radio channel as that usually gives good audio commentary. Not this time though as they were wondering about a million different possible problems that may or may not happen as the flood levels decline. Eventually they started showing the match on the Gem channel (channel 90) but it was hard work making the Tivo record the whole match as it thought other shorter programs were running. Luckily I am a million times more intelligent than it. I suspect that even a frog is more intelligent than a Tivo.

The good news is that the England team won the match and are now 2-0 up in the series. The England women's fielding was very scrappy with loads of fumbles and dropped catches. They have been much better when I have seen them play in previous matches. It does not say much for the Australian girls when they were beaten by team butterfingers. The third match takes place in Canberra on Sunday.

Later in the evening I watched the men's T20 that was also at the MCG. It was a close match and although England got off to a good start, by the time it was the last ball of the match, they need six to win. They did not make it so Australia got this one making it 1-1 in this series. The next matches are ODI's

Today the weather is really hot (currently 31C) and it is also humid with no wind. Not pleasant, and for the first time I am using a fan to keep cool rather than just opening a window.

Peewit

Posted by Picasa

No comments: