Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Ladders

I have no problems flying in passenger aircraft and also feel very comfortable in small private aircraft. Yet, when it comes to going up a ladder, I find it really difficult to feel safe. The higher I go, the more my body tenses up and an un-rational fear sets in. This fear is starting to cost me money. I need a sealed double glazing unit replacing. I got a quote of 100 pounds to supply and fit a replacement. The cost of the sealed unit itself was £23.50 so I ordered one and today I thought I would remove the beading on the wooden frame holding the blown unit. When I go up a ladder I seem to become very susceptible to the slightest noise.
Why is that when I am up a ladder the following things happen :-

Some workmen at a neighbour’s house drop a toolbox with a loud crash, shortly followed by my dog barking.
The local council decide today is the day they will send a noisy street sweeper down our road.
Today seems to be the day that jet fighters decide to carry out some low level practice for that forthcoming air display.
My wife starts to play her favourite “Mrs Jones” track very loudly.
Wasps and flying insects seem to find me suddenly attractive.
Even though it is a hot day and I have my head back looking straight up at the thing I cannot quite reach, that my nose starts to run.
The army decide to run a Chinook low and slow right over my house.
Etc, etc.



The result is that I am getting the replacement unit fitted by others and just paying for the privilege.

Unfortunately that is not the end of the story as the paintwork on the window frames is in need of some patching up and no doubt after the new window is fitted, the frame will need new paint. I am sure that right now the local police helicopter has picked Bisley for some practice with its infra red cameras.

Oh by the way, I have another date for my mock skills test (the last one was cancelled through bad weather). This time when I came to book because the weather was good and I needed a double slot there was a two week wait and this ends next Monday afternoon.

Peewit

free web site hit counter

No comments: