Wednesday, March 27, 2013

BiCentennial Park

It was a beautiful start to the day so I thought that I would take a trip to the Sydney Olympic park and hire a push bike for a pleasant cycle around the many cycle friendly paths.

I needed to go by ferry and then two trains in order to arrive at Concord West that is the station within walking distance of the park. As usual my ferry got to Circular Quay and just stopped within sight of the ferry wharf. The various trains going from Circular Quay to Central were all being missed as we flopped about by the Opera House. I got bored and took a photo while another passenger read a chapter of his book.
 
Some time later I arrived in Bi-Centennial Park that is part of the Sydney Olympic park complex.
Here is the bike hire place.
 
I cycled by some wetlands and Mangroves. On this saltmarsh was a bird. I think it is a Black Winged Stilt.
 
Some time later I arrived at the Archery Centre.
 
This guy seemed to score a lot of bulls but he had moved the target much closer towards him.
 
Another archer, this time with the full range target.
 
My hired bike. It was a hybrid mountain bike with 21 gears and seemed fine.
 
Later I came to this hill. It is steep although it does not look it. I pushed the bike up the rough track to the top so that I could take this photograph. I hope that it was worth the effort.
 
I arrived somewhat hot at the Armory Wharf cafe after my excursions in what was probably a 30°C ambient temperature. Anyway I reserved a table and a little later had a lovely lunch with an ice cold beer.
 
Not too many cyclists out today, so just my bike in the racks.
 
The old Armory train tracks with the cranes for unloading munitions in the distance.
 
A nice spot.
 
Enjoying this perching place.
 
After lunch I cycled along the Parramatta River bank until I reached the Silverwater Bridge where I decided to retrace my route for the return journey. I would not normally do this but the Easter Show was being held around the Olympic Stadiums and I wanted to avoid the traffic and crowds.
After returning my bike, it was time to sit under a shady tree and cool down.
 
My journey home was straightforward. It did seem much fresher and cooler on getting back to Sydney harbour but I had enjoyed the day.

Peewit

Posted by Picasa

No comments: