Friday, February 17, 2006

Consolidation and fingerprints

Hi everyone.

Firstly many thanks to all those that sent me a congratulations message, be it by email, or one the flying forums.

I have got a few more pictures of my big moment.

The cockpit just before my flight.


Taxiing off on my own (Nikki took these pictures)


First solo takeoff


Back on the ground after a successful flight.


The missing part of my shirt that records my first solo. Nikki kindly included the runway diagram showing everyone else taxiing to 05 while I wanted to go onto runway 23. I did this more than once.

After this flight I had to wait for a bit whilst Nikki had a meeting with another student. I saw that the cats were up to something ......


Tux checking out the weather in the briefing room.


Having got a good forecast from Tux, here are Ginger and Snowy holding short of the cat flap requesting a straight out departure.

Thursday 16th February

The TAF and actual weather are both good. I arrive at NAC at about 8:40 so I can check out N946AC prior to my 9am flight. Then get the latest weather and Nikki says that I will fly her down to Marco Island in order to learn the departure procedure, and then back to Naples to learn the arrivals procedure. This was revision really but necessary so I can do this solo another day. It was an enjoyable flight with more perfect views out of the cockpit window. Nikki asked me where I would land if the engine failed now. My initial response was at Marco airstrip but we would not have made it that far. I looked below and could see a large field that looked rather rutted. It was the best of a bad bunch as other nearby fields had bushes and trees in them. It would also have been good from another point of view because it was near a highway so that if help was needed it could get there quickly. I learnt about the five S's. We flew just off the shoreline and then Nikki idled the engine and showed me a good trick that would put a C152 quickly into the best glide attitude and speed, thus allowing time to look around for the best landing site. We were losing height quite quickly and not covering a lot of distance. Had this been for real we would have landed on the sandy beach on the southern tip of Keewadin that was directly below us. At 1200 feet Nikki applied full power and corrected the trim for the climb back to 2500. My next task was to return to Naples and first I had to get the latest weather and runway details on the ATIS frequency. After a nudge I did a turn to allow time to complete this task before I came within the 10 mile radius of Naples airport. Having got the weather and retuned the radio to Naples tower (we had been using the special NAC frequency to keep in touch with other aircraft manouevering in the area). At the correct place I called the tower and reported all the required information and was asked to call again at Gordon Pass for landing instructions. When this was done and and having made a powered descent down to 1000ft we were advised that we should expect to make a right base turn. Later we were cleared to land and soon we were back on the ground. We had to take an unusual taxi route past a row of jet aircraft. It was good to have a close up look at all this expensive hardware.
Another lesson was over and my next one was due at 1pm.

During my medical yesterday my weight was a surprise so I am now cutting back on my food intake and not just relying on bike riding to burn off excess calories. My lunch consisted of some crisps and an apple. I know crisps are not good either but that is all that was available.

Many people having been asking via email, forums,etc as to how Bea and Nikki were.

I am the thorn between two roses but as you can see they are both looking well and I have found them really supportive and they have made me feel at home here.


Nikki and Bea standing by 'my' aircraft.

At 1pm it was time for my solo circuits. I checked out the aircraft but the wind was at an awkward angle and Nikki asked if I wanted to go. The crosswind component on my whizzwheel was 3.5 and you are allowed up to 5 kts at this stage, so I went. I taxied the long way down to 05 and found I was fourth behind three large jets. It is a bit intimidating to be in this kind of company but I pulled over to the left to do my power and other checks. Once the checks were done, just as I was about to call the tower another Cessna jumped the queue and there was another coming up behind him. I was surpised that they were not doing power checks too. Anyway I took my slot in the queue and soon got to takeoff and did my first circuit that went well although I did land on one wheel first as I had not quite straightened up the aircraft before touching down. I was soon back on another circuit thinking that I must make a better landing next time. At mid-field downwind the tower advised me that they could only allow one more touch and go and to "state my intentions". There was zero choice here so I immediately requested a full stop landing (they were stopping me from playing). This was approved subject to a short approach. Oh sh*t, I was not expecting that but said I would comply. Carb heat was in having just carried out the pre-landing checks and I reduced the power to 1700 applied three levels of flap in stages and reduced the power to idle and watched my airspeed keeping it at 60 kts whilst making a smooth turn onto a short final. I applied a little power when I looked a bit low and then made another one wheel landing having not properly straightened up again. My brain had been in overload but I was able to exit the runway at A2 so that whatever was screaming up behind me could be given landing clearance. Yep, the place had just suddenly got very, very busy and they did not want me in the way. I taxied back having only clocked up 0.6 hours on that flight. I was back at the ramp at 1:45 and my flying for the day was over. I could not leave as myself and many others were having our fingerprints taken at 4:30pm.
During the interim I took some pictures :-

The front desk


Richard at work


The fuel bowser


I'll have one of these please.

At 4:30pm twelve students go into the ATPL classroom and Cpl Dwaine Parker Pilot/Deputy Sheriff arrives to tell as about the finger printing procedures. He checked out our forms, then handed out fingerprint record cards to all of us. He then gave detailed instruction on how to fill in the written information. Lastly we took it in turns to have our prints taken.



Cpl Dwaine Parker - Pilot/Deputy Sheriff

Yes that is a gun just by his right elbow. He is a really nice guy and he took time out to explain what was being done and why and how the information would be processed. I was the last to get my prints taken. Most of the other students were going to be at NAC for a full year.
At 6:20pm I cycled home. It was passed closing time at the local store so I had the choice of going out for a meal or using up what remained in my fridge. As I am now trying to reduce my calorie intake I opted for the latter.
It has taken me a long time to do this post. I did not realise it would soak up so much of my evenings.

Till the next day.

Peewit
free web site hit counter

No comments: